Saturday 19 October 2019

1970s' Dream With Note - Note 3

1970s' Dream With Note - Note 3

14/10/2019 16:37

 

 

1970s' Dream

1970s' dream, writing clear description on language universals by mathematics

 
The Days of Ideogram
​​​4. Time property in characters
In Autumn 2002 I got pneumonia and was hospitalized about 2 weeks, where I thought of 1970s' dream, writing clear description on language universals by mathematics. The theme was as hard as ever. So, at the bed I thought the basis of language from a side of Chinese character's classical approach which had vast heritage till Qing dynasty.
I directed my attention to the character's figure which had compound meanings containing time elements continuing from Yin dynasty's hieroglyphic characters left on bones and tortoise carapaces some 2400 years ago.
I thought that Chinese characters had containing time and its structure could be written by geometric approach once I had abandoned for difficulty. After leaving hospital, I wrote a paper titled On Time Property Inherent in Characters*3-1.   
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Note 
13 October 2019
SRFL Paper
 

1970s' Dream is a part of Paper titled The Days of Ideogram,
which is a paper of  Ideogram Paper.
 
Ideogram Paper

TANAKA Akio

1. Ideogram 2005
2. Egyptian Hieroglyph Exhibition, Journey through the Afterlife Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead by The British Museum 2012
3. 
Macro Time and Micro Time  2013
4. Essence of Language 2016
5. The Days of Decipherment 2016
6The Days of Ideogram 2017
7. The Days of Ideogram 2017
8. The comparison between 2003 and 2017
From Chinese character's meaning structure to Homological algebraic model of language universals
 2017 
9. Letter to Y.  Toward geometrization of language 2018
10. Letter to Y. Of Broad Language 4th edition 2018
11. Determination of the concept, Broad Language 2018
12. 
Ars longa Seeing Masterpieces o f French Landscape Paintings from the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow 2018 


Tokyo
26 May 2018
8 June 2018 Paper 9 added
​12 June 2018 Paper 3 added

Sekinan Zoho
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Note 2
13 October 2019
SRFL Paper
 
1970s' Dream was realized by the reunion to CHINO Eiichi in 1979 at my return to the university after faculty graduate in 1971.
The first meeting with CHINO is in 1969 at his Russian language class.
 
Fortuitous Meeting
What CHINO Eiichi Taught Me in the Class of Linguistics 


TANAKA Akio 

CHINO taught me the core of linguistics in the class of structural linguistics.
The most remarkable thing is what he explained the paper of KARCEVSKIJ to us.
The title is “Du dualisme asymétrique du signe linguistique”. It became a miracle of my life.
 I summarize the essence of the paper from one of CHINO’s most major book,Gengogaku eno hirakareta tobira, Janua linguarum reserata in Latin. Language has the dualism.
One is firm structure. The other is flexible variability.
This is a very revelation in the roaming of study.
At first I selected the firmness of language for my research target.
It overlapped with the research of Chinese characters.
Thought of KARCEVSKIJ fructified the quantum of language.
The theory I reached is Quantum Theory for Language.
The starting point of the theory was given from CHINO.
I deeply appreciate him for teaching me almost all the things on language. 
CHINO Eiich died March 19, 2002.
At age 70.

Tokyo 
December 5, 2004
July 16, 2014 Added
Sekinan Research Field of Language 
 
 
​Linguistic Circle of Prague 
 
                                       
The Linguistic Circle of Prague was taught from CHINO Eiichi in his class of Structural Linguistics in the late 1970s. We first met at the university in 1969. He was young, probably the age 30s. I was 21 years old.

Now referring his chronological record, CHINO was born in 1932, graduated Tokyo University of Foreign Studies in 1955, entered Carrel University at Czechoslovakia in 1958 and returned to Japan in 1964. So we met after 5 years from his returning. 


Sometimes we conversed at the coffee shop near the station we used. California, it was the name of the shop, up the rattled stairs, under the dim light. It was the youth time of mine and probably with him.The greatest thing he gave me was teaching me the existence of KARCEVSKIJ Sergei in the Linguistic Circle of Prague. My latter half life was almost determined by KARCEVSKIJ's one paper, " Du dualisme asymetrique du signe linguistique" .
One day on the train after school, he calmly but definitely said to me that he never was linguist because he never discovered any new language or law and he only was the introducer to general linguistics.

Now I really think that I am also never linguist nor introducer. I only love language, so have written on language or its around  till now. CHINO taught me the the study or rather more deep attitude  to the life itself.
Regretfully he died in 2002, age 70.

He wrote several books on linguistics. The masterpiece that I confirmed is Janua Linguisticae reserata, 1994, that is the general invitation to linguistics for further studying of wide and deep view.

The title was determined by the famous book of Jan Amos Komensky 1592-1670Janua Linguarum reserata 1632Here I feel CHINO's deep love to the history and culture to Czechoslovakia where he studied for Czech in 7 years. 
 
[Note added]
I frequently heard on Linguistic Circle of Prague (LCP) from CHINO. But now standing in the twilight of my learning, I have not understood anything about it essentially, that had probably much more heritage for contemporary language study than my thinking. I already old and  can never start to cultivate the new frontier on LCP  or its successive study. Only saying is what I really recognise that LCP and Russian philology is the heimat of my language study. It is and will be  the heimat of my soul evermore. 19 July 2012 
 
Tokyo
13 July 2012
19 July 2012 Note added
Sekinan Research Field of Language
 
 
 
My Heimat of Learning, the Linguistic Circle of Prague   

TANAKA Akio                                          

My heimat of learning is the Linguistic Circle of Prague on which I was taught from my teacher CHINO Eiichi.
Sadly he died almost suddenly by disease in 2002 at age 70.

After a decade, I am now already 65 and near his later year days. When we met and told at the university or station-front old coffee shop, he had been a researcher and I had been a student all the time, and maybe sometimes been a younger friend.

If we meet again,  we will be the researcher-student relation same as old days but or this time only become friends that are absorbed in language problems under the dim light of a narrow coffee-shop.

3 October 2012

Refer to the next.

Coffee shop named California
Linguistic Circle of Prague
Prague in 1920s
Under the Dim Light 

 
 
Since 1979 I again learnt from CHINO on Linguistics especially on Linguistic Circle of Prague and Sergej Karcevskij.
 
 
Under the Dim Light

TANAKA Akio
               
                         
I frequently talked with CHINO Eiichi at the coffee shop near the station we used to get on. The shop was at the second floor and the steps upstairs always sounded squeaking. Under the dim light the topics of conversation was on language or linguistics after all. He was already the university professor but I was a poor research student. But he was always showed me the general tenderness.
The subject he gave me were impressive and useful for me, in which the most important is the history of The Linguistic Circle of Prague and the excellent pioneers of language study. He had of course the unique approach to the study but I had never any conspicuous one except boundless interest on the study.
In his wide and precious telling for me I gradually determined my course to proceed. It was the making of basic and radical foundation on natural language by searching the structure of language through simple and clear description. For keeping this difficult aim I had a decision that there was only way to use mathematics that I had abandoned at the past for its hardness.
In my age 20s, I had read Ludwig Wittgenstein and Nicolas Bourbaki in concentrating. I did not clearly understand  Wittgenstein's approach. But I borrowed his writing style that was simple and clear. So my early work's descriptions were nearly at him. But I decided that I never adopted strongly-intuitive thinking.
I always considered mathematical basis or analogy. My aim was the independence from the intuitive description. Keeping on this course, there was seen the mathematical basis that I must adopt the model in which language universals are clearly described. I entered to the mathematical description of study that was confirmed premises of my way.

Tokyo
1 August 2012
Sekinan Research Field of Language


Related papers with About 2
  1. Sergej Karcevskij, Soul of Language
  2. Follower of Sergej Karcevskij
  3. For KARCEVSKIJ Sergej
  4. Linguistic Circle of Prague
  5. Half Farewell to LCP with References
  6. Prague in 1920s
  7. 40 years passed from I read WANG Guowei
  8. The Complete Works of WANG Guowei
  9. For WITTGENSTEIN Ludwig Revised
  10. The Days of von Neumann Algebra
  11. The Days between von Neumann Algebra and Complex Manifold Deformation Theory

Tokyo
2 February 2016
Geometrization Language
 
 
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Note 3
14 October 2019
SRFL Paper
 
 
1. Before 70s' Dream
 

Sixties, For Susan Sontag  
 
TANAKA Akio
                                        
On Sixties, Susan Sontag wrote in her book, WHERE THE STRESS FALLS, 2001 as the following.
 
Perhaps the most interesting characteristic of the time now labeled the Sixties was that there was no little nostalgia. In that sense, it was indeed a utopian moment.
-From "Thirty Years Later..." 
 
Surely I also think that it was a utopian moment, not utopia everlasting.
Someone ever said at a book, " We were loose change." Surely we were all loose change for a utopian moment. This is the great dedication to Sontag from me. We have lived in a same time though I was extremely coward far away than her to the time and myself.
 
27 September 2012
Sekinan Research Field of Language
 
[Note]
30 November 2014 Note added 
SIL
 
Sixties are precious times for me though full of exactly heartbreaking events.
At first, using all the university's summer holidays in 1969, I read three times, one of the Japanese classics, Ochikubo Monogatari, in English Dark Hole Story written in Heian Times some 1,000 years ago, faithfully following the teach of  Japanese classic litrature's ScholarYAMAGISHI Tokuhei by the precise annotated text. The scholar lent me his valuable collation text of NAKAMURA Shuko in his library. Before beginning the holidays he said to me like admonishment that selection of one classic in the vast literary heritage was alike a meeting with a fiancée, walking to the station from the university in the clear summer evening. 
And I sometimes read the modern Chinese novels, Luxun or Maodun, thinking on the Beijing's old days, of which CHEN Donghai taught us how to hear the Beijing Opera sitting the chair facing sideways to the stage.
In university I met CHINO Eiichi at the small room for Russian language in 1969.
I met KAJIMURA Hideki at his Korean class and Natary Muravijova at her Russian class in the next year.
I learnt alone the composition of French by the text of MAEDA Yoichi at the university's library, who indicated me the splendid world of French language and philosophy while reading Pascal's Pensees little by little, almost all the days outside afar a demonstrations, in and outside the campus or streets of Tokyo. 
It is the reason for I was Coward in those days.

Read more: https://srfl-collection.webnode.com/products/sixties-for-susan-sontag-note-added/

2. Mid 70s' Dream

​​​Glitter of youth through philosophy and mathematics in 1970s
TANAKA Akio

In 1970s at Tokyo or in my age 20s there surely exists glitter of youth in my life, now I remember.
 
In those days, in Japan many fabulous magazines were successively published. Episteme,Toshi(City)、Chugoku(China) and the likes. Especially I loved reading Episteme which had printed many philosophical or philological articles as the form of special issues concentrated important philosopher, thinker and writer. The chief editor of Episteme was NAKANO Mikitaka(1943-2007), probably one of the best editors in the latter half of the 20th century in Japan.  The most impressive number was Ludwig Wittgenstein(1889-1951), probably in 1977. Also influenced from the issue of Kurt Gödel(1906-1978)who gave me the possibility of set theory.
 
In my life, Wittgenstein gave the big influence for thinking and writing style, never entering or approaching his essential philosophical themes.After millennium year when I started the regular writing on language universals, my writing style was resembling in his Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. My paper written in 2003, Quantum Theory for Language shows a very imitative style to him. This tendency kept on for some time till I changed to adopt algebraic method for more clear description to the themes.
 
1970s was a relatively calm times after those university’s revolution in the late 1960s in which I also compellingly rolled in. In those days I almost had been wandering between library and old book shops aiming my life-time true themes cowardly avoiding the turmoils of university and towns. Blaise Pascal(1623-1662)’s Pansees was my favourite one. One day at Kanda’s Taiwan chinese book shop Kaifu Shoten, I bought WANG Guowei(1877-1927)’s Guantangjilin that opened the new frontier for classical Chinese philology mainly streamed by “Small Study”, traditional exegesis in China. Being influenced WANG Guowei I wrote a paper titled On Time Property Inherent in Characters, 2003 by which I began the latter start of language study.
 
In 1970s, I had cherished a dream in which I wanted to use mathematical description and get the essential of language. But I had not any ability to proceed the study for it while I read at random several mathematical books. One day I found and bought the amount Nicolas Bourbaki(1935-)’s text books at old book shop in Kanda, Tokyo. They were hard to keep reading for my talent in those days. After all, the books were put aside the desk. The remaining in my mind was adoration to Bourbaki and their brilliant achievement. My return to Bourbaki was long after in 1990s when I again tried the pursuit of language having a clear vision to study language universals according to the Linguistic Circle of Prague, especially aiming to resolve the supposition presented by Sergej Karcevskij(1884-1955).
 
Turning round the past days, my way was always narrow and winding road. But it keeps till now not breaking off in any situations. The way was finely glittering in my youth days despite under the cloudy sky. Probably I have kept happily walking till now being assisted by many people especially at the field of language, mathematics and relevant studies.
 
At random now I remember the dear names from whom I  never cannot hear their voices. HASEGAWA Hiroshi, CHEN Donghai Chinese languageKAJIMURA Hideki, CHO Shokichi Korean languageNatary Muravijowa Russian languageONO Shinobu Chinese literatureMIIYAZAKI Kenzo, FURUTA Hiromu, KONDO Tadayoshi Japanese literatureANDO Tsuguo French poemSAEKI Shoichi HaikuIKEDA Hiroshi Japanese classical dramaSAITO Kohei sculptureYAMAGISHI Tokuhei bibliographyNISHI Junzo Chinese philosophyKAWASAKI Tsuneyuki BuddhismCHINO Eiichi Russian language, the Linguistic Circle of Prague. At last dear friend of high school days KANEKO Yutakmathematics and our youth.

Tokyo
6 March 2015
Sekinan Library

Read more: https://srfl-collection.webnode.com/products/glitter-of-youth-through-philosophy-and-mathematics-in-1970s/

3. After 70s' Dream

Half farewell to Sergej Karcevskij and the Linguistic Circle of Prague
 
I have thought on language through the rich results of the linguistic Circle of Prague and its important member Sergej Karcevskij. But now my recent thinking has inclined towards algebraic or arithmetic geometrical method and description. Probably it is the time of half farewell to those milestones which led me to the standing place here with rather sufficient results in my ability. Great thanks to all that always encouraged me for hard and vague target on language especially meaning and its surroundings. And also to CHINO Eiichi with love and respect who taught me all the bases of language study.For recent results see the following papers group named AGL Arithmetic Geometry Language and related essays.
 
Tokyo
23 October 2013
 
[References]
Papers
Essays
 
24 September 2014, References added
 


Read more: https://srfl-essay.webnode.com/news/a1970s-dream-with-note-note-3/

No comments:

Post a Comment