Saturday 31 August 2019

Of John Donne's For Whom the Bell Tolls Note added

Of John Donne's For Whom the Bell Tolls
Note added


John Donne
 For Whom the Bell Tolls


On 5 August 2019, we went to see the film Wim Wenders' Submergence 2017 at kino cinema, Tachikawa. Tokyo.

In the film, the sea and the rocks are frequently appeared as if all were born from those.
At the couple's conversation, John Donne's poem, For Whom the Bell Tolls is quoted.

No man is an ireland,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.


Tokyo
7 August 2019
SRFL Paper

[Note]
31 August 2019
In summer 2013, I wrote a Haiku at my blog as the next.
This haiku was dedicated to John Donne.
I perfectly forgot this.
Yesterday I chanced to read the past blog and remembered the day.
when I was making a woodwork in the garden and heard the bell tolled from the Buddhist temple.
So I recalled the famous Donne's poem, For Whom the Bell Tolls.

----------------------------------------------------

Haiku for summer’s end

For John Donne
TANAKA Akio
Kanashimi ha
Kieyuku Kane he
Natsu owaru
<Translation>
Sadness has gone
To the bell melts away 
Summer is ending
Tokyo
27 August 2013
atbankofdam

----------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment