Thursday 10 March 2022

Historical note on study theme

 Historical note on study theme

 TANAKA Akio

Sekinan Library's main theme is language universals that has been researched since 1920s at Linguistic Circle of Prague that had been always put at the centre of the study.
In Japan, on Prague School, CHINO Eiichi probably first introduced systematically through his direct study experience at Prague between 1958 and 1964.

I first met with him in 1969 at Tokyo, from whom received Russian language at beginner's small class.
And after I again met him in 1979 for his lecture of structural linguistics., to which I listened till March 1986.

In this year  1986, I also started own object on language, which was language universals by mathematical description, surging from Nicolas Bourbaki, that were applied to wide and deep approach even at human studies.

For me algebraic geometry was the great aid to deepen the theme, to which I thought 1920s researchers had probably recognised its importance, but anyway seemed to be hard to operate with clear description at the field of phonology at that days.

In 2003 I narrowly wrote up a trial paper on characters, at that time not for total language, but I got the steady way to approach the hard target of meaning, through which I faintly could see a phase of the final target, language universals.

 

TANAKA Akio
Tokyo
25 February 2016

17 July 2020 Text enlarged
10 March 2022 Text revised
Sekinan Library

No comments:

Post a Comment